[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

These scoresheets ARE an aid and must be ILLEGAL

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Friday, 12 July 2013, at 12:10 p.m.

In Response To: These scoresheets ARE an aid and must be ILLEGAL (Rod)

I believe the away score is NOT an aid, but rather a more accurate way of stating what the score actually is. When two people are playing, it is critical to agree on the score, but it is also critical to agree how long the match is. One player might call out a score of 3-2, and the other player might agree, but the other player might think the match is to 9 points while player A believes it is to 7 points. By stating the away score there is confirmation not only of the score, but of the match length. Therefore, the away score more accurately states the situation and is more likely to eliminate problems and confusion.

As we all know, the away score is the only score that matters in backgammon, so recording the score that matters should be perfectly acceptable.

I have asked several tournament directors if it is okay for me to write down the away score, and so far, no one has prevented me. Now, when my opponent calls out the score at the end of the game and says, "3 to 2", I have often said "Yes, 3away/4away" and I have yet to have an opponent object.

My goal is to have a score card as well as a display score card that shows the away score instead of the numerical score.

I believe that it is incorrect to say that we are doing a calculation or using an aid when we use the away score...I think it is more accurate to say that we are stating and keeping track of the actual score that is relevant in a backgammon match.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.