[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

I dont get the obession with redoing drawsheets...

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Thursday, 6 February 2014, at 8:30 p.m.

In Response To: I dont get the obession with redoing drawsheets... (Bill Finneran)

In the Long Run...

Bill Finneran wrote:

If you play in enough tournaments it all comes out in the wash.

Although this gets a bit off subject, I want to remark about Bill’s statement above. It is a common misconception that does not stand up to scrutiny. It turns out that it is difficult for the average player to particiapte in “enough” tournaments.

Taper_Mike wrote:

It is pathetic to hear tournament directors vaguely assert that “in the long run” it will all balance out. Wasn’t it Keynes who quipped, “In the long run, we’ll all be dead!”
Nobody who plays backgammon seriously is naive enough to expect that if you flip a coin a hundred times, the long run will arrive. More often than not, you’ll get a 55/45 ratio between heads and tails with only 100 tosses. So, Mr. Tournament Director, how many hundred tournaments must I enter before the long run will finally smooth things out? Phew! I will be dead.

That’s why my opinion remains—however the brackets are drawn—that all byes should be compensated. Bob Koca’s scheme is not bad, but suffers from the defect of awarding byes late in a tournament. I would rather see byes awarded in the first round, and a small but fair refund made to any player who does not receive one.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.