[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ed O - Dual duel suggestion

Posted By: Keene
Date: Thursday, 6 February 2014, at 10:05 p.m.

In Response To: Ed O - Dual duel suggestion (Petko)

I think the primary complaint about the DD format is that it puts so little focus on actually winning matches - yes half the bracket is playing that side, but will ultimately face the lowest PR player in the final. The expectation will suddenly become that the PR winner will be a favorite, and probably by a few points too.

If I can read between the lines a little bit too, I also think that a general perception about the event is that its really not very accessible to the bulk of the players. I have nothing against events that award technical excellence, but one of the spirits of backgammon is that anyone can win, they might get lucky, and thats a draw for many average players. The DD event as it stands is not accessible really to the average open player.

I get the point of the event though, its not meant to be accessible to the average open player, its meant to be only the best players, but where for various reasons today, many people who would fall into that category chose not to enter for various reasons, it seems like its too biased to PR to even bring them in.

I too like Ed O's idea - in fact its a slightly different version of my own spitball idea that I posted in the other thread about SA. Awarding players for playing well - thats great. Allowing backgammons nature to still exist in the event, thats great too.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.