[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Axe the ABT? Axe the Giants list? Axe the *World Championships*?

Posted By: Keene
Date: Tuesday, 12 November 2013, at 3:39 p.m.

In Response To: Axe the ABT? Axe the Giants list? Axe the *World Championships*? (Stick)

I dont know about axing the ABT or the Giants List - thats more flexible in my mind, however, I see a definite need for a unified world organization. I forget all the details, but having: WBT, EBT, WBF, etc is just too cluttering. There needs to be an overarching organization that all the country federations are members of, and that provides complete oversight to world Backgammon.

The challenge, as I see it, is that all the existing variants need to go away so that one can be absolute. It needs to have general consensus from all the country organizations, and it needs to be able to provide guidance to all tournaments in general. Its membership would also need to be absolute too. Something like if you join your country federation, then you are automatically a member of the international one.

As for ABT - I like that - its perhaps one of the very few tournament groups that has rules in place and is widely used across the US. Well done Bill Davis - I like that he has achieved so much with it.

The World Championships without a doubt needs a revamp. I think in essence, that needs to be a relatively free event, to attract all the players necessary to make it a real world championships. It also needs to have some good prize money to make sure the incentive is there. I know, I ask a lot lol.

I have been thinking along these lines for a while, but I dont see how yet another international bg organization can succeed without significant cash injection and acceptance. Am I willing to fight the good fight? Yes, however, I am not in a position to "give up the day job" to make it happen. And it wouldnt need just one person to commit full time, it would need 5 or 6, and part-timers. Thats wild speculation on my part, but I am sure the readers get the gist.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.