[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Axe the ABT? Axe the Giants list? Axe the *World Championships*?

Posted By: Daniel Murphy
Date: Tuesday, 12 November 2013, at 11:42 p.m.

In Response To: Axe the ABT? Axe the Giants list? Axe the *World Championships*? (Keene)

Which world federation of BG do you want to say is the dominant one?

None of them, since are no "world federations," but why does it matter?

WBA, WBT, EBT and EBGT is an individual named Chiva Tafazzoli, who runs tournaments worldwide.

WBF is two individuals, founder Alberto da Pra and director Marco Fornasir, the latter of which runs tournaments throughout Europe. I don't think they claim to be "the" world federation anymore — if they do, they can stuff that ... and keep running their tournaments and promoting backgammon, which we all should appreciate.

BIBA is an individual named Michael Crane, who runs tournaments in the UK.

ABT is an individual named Bill Davis, who facilitates tournaments run by himself and other individuals in the USA.

None of these acronyms represent national or international member-governed federations. There are only a handful of such national organizations. In my opinion, there will not ever be a bonafide international federation unless and until those organizations decide to create one.

But what these acronyms do all represent is someone who is actually doing something for backgammon, namely, organizing and promoting backgammon tournaments. So in the meantime, seems to me that none of these people or any of the member-run national federations need a world federation to tell them what to do. Do they?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.