[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Saturday, 16 November 2013, at 5:07 p.m.

I believe that backgammon needs to enter the 21st century and develop a computerized real-time world ranking system. I love Bill Davis's ABT points system and feel that it should serve as the foundation. Here's a prototype that I developed with ABT data from 28 people: http://home.roadrunner.com/~kenlarsen/bgWorldRankingProposal.htm

This is very much in the embryonic stage. Please review and email me your comments. Rod Covlin found an error in his data, and I corrected that error. I suspect that there are likely more errors, because I had to count by hand the number of main events each person played. That was a very tedious and error-prone process. That bottleneck will have to be surmounted before any real progress can be made.

Because the ABT points system only exists in the U.S. and only main events (Open, Advanced, and Novice) are awarded points, it may be a long time before any type of World Ranking System can be fully rolled out. I thought I'd at least try to get the ball rolling.

I also just wrote an article for USBGF's PrimeTime magazine documenting my reasoning behind my selection of weighted average ABT points per event as my sort criteria ... and why I'm negative on elo. If it's approved, it will appear in the January-February issue of PrimeTime.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.