[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Sunday, 17 November 2013, at 8:12 p.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System (Barry Silliman)

If the idea of a world-wide ranking system is to determine who should play in which division, I believe that could be an "indicator" but certainly not definitive. In a very small, local tournament, a player with an average PR of say, 8 or 9, should probably play in the Open or top division, but in a huge tournament with hundreds of players from around the world, it is probably fairer for him to play intermediate. Classifying players as a level 1, 2, 3, etc. player is just as useful to help determine where they can play in a local, regional, or major international event.

I still believe the criteria for who plays where must be determine and stated in advance, and I believe it should allow the tournament director some discretion as there will always be players that are inbetween and some could claim should not be allowed to play in less than open, but, because of the size of the tournament, the demonstrated results of the player over the past few years, and the knowledge of the player's ability by the TD or his committee, it might be fair to let him/her play intermediate.

I have nothing against an international ranking system, but again, by making the designation a little more general and less specific, it is likely to be fairer and more meaningful than trying to say one player is better than another who are both very strong players or who generally play at around the same PR.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.