[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System

Posted By: Keene
Date: Monday, 18 November 2013, at 7:31 p.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System (Rod)

Rod - I know you dont enter every side event.. But you do enter an inordinate amount of side events. I used to as well - but I have found that through attrition I dont do as well in the main events. I have plenty of evidence for that over the years. Side event trophies and late, middle and early main event losses.

My point was that there are some players (like you) that enter many side events. The opposition in those does vary, I agree. There's also all the jackpots that happen when event finals and semi finals are going on too - No doubt some of the players that are still alive in the mains would likely have entered those jackpots given a chance.

Just in general, I think a world ranking (or American Ranking) system is going to be a tough measure. If side events will be measured, I will enter more of those again, and just be more aggressive with my sleep needs, and take it out on my coworkers when I get back to the day job.

Ken, I am all for a better ranking system. From a purely personal perspective, it will highlight me better than I currently am. It will no doubt also do the same for many others. I think that there may be a better way to do the weighting. A good example here is Richard Munitz. For the last 3 years, his results have not been as strong as they were in the 2 prior, yet even with zero points in the last 3 years, he is still regarded as a top player. Important note - Rich is a very very strong player, and should never be underestimated (I dont think I've beaten him ever, but would have to check my USBGF nemesis report first), and I hold his ability in the highest regard. But his results indicate otherwise. Perhaps a stronger weighting in more recent events would be in order? Root 5,4,3,2,1 has an appeal to it, but perhaps its not tough enough. I dont know. Speculation.

Keene

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.