[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Proposed World Ranking System

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Monday, 18 November 2013, at 3:11 a.m.

In Response To: Proposed World Ranking System (Phil Simborg)

Phil,

Your comments are embarrassing to read, and I do take great offense to them. I've created a prototype methodology to solve three of backgammon's problems (a world ranking system that's better than the Giants Voting, the sandbagging issue, and how to generate more interest in backgammon), and all you're doing is throwing rocks at me and not presenting an alternative that makes any sense.

My philosophy is to assign everyone a metric which like PR roughly correlates to their skill level. Then, the TD's can use that metric in any way they choose. If I were a TD, I'd place the top 32 in Division 1, the next 32 in Division 2, etc ... like sliced bread. I did that when I ran an IBM employee golf tournament, and the results were phenomenal. People were so happy with the fairness of my system, that participation exploded ... from 108 in my first year to 308 (plus a waiting list) in my last year. That's an insane number of people for a Raleigh employee-only golf tournament. Then after I left, the guy who took over the tournament didn't follow my metric and sliced bread approach and chaos and complaints ensued. Attendance dropped off precipitously, and they eventually stopped holding the tournament.

Stop throwing rocks and instead focus on helping me roll out my system ... or create your own alternative prototype.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.