[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Why create a system we know is flawed?

Posted By: Igor
Date: Monday, 18 November 2013, at 2:54 a.m.

In Response To: Why create a system we know is flawed? (Phil Simborg)

Phil, I'm not sure why you took my posts so personally. It was never my intention to accuse you of attacking Ken. As a matter of fact, your remarks were more than civil compared to certain other individuals'. They also show you are somewhat passionate about the issue and I see it as a good sign of an (infinitesimal) hope. You are one of the very few "old timers" who is actively involved in adapting the game to the changing reality.

I'm simply disappointed with the overall reaction of the community to individual efforts of transforming the realm of backgammon to the better. I won't speak for anybody else, but I personally from now on have zero desire to waste even a minute worth of an effort on how to improve what we currently have and how to grow popularity of backgammon. I have seen what my reward is going to be. At best, I'm going to be ridiculed by part of the backgammon elite and be given a silent treatment by the rest.

I'm fully aware that what I'm going to say next might draw a lot of heat and offense. However, I never suffered from political correctness syndrome. So, here it goes. I'm afraid the parable of Moses can be applied to the current state of backgammon community. Until the generation of players who grew up perceiving backgammon as means of hustling money from fish is gone, nothing will change to the better. Will it change with the next generation of players? I hope it does if backgammon is still alive as a serious competitive sport, that it currently is. The latter I'm not sure about at all as the influx of new players is dwarfed by the departure of established players.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.