[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

A Proposal to Start the US Backgammon Federation

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 7 October 2009, at 9:20 p.m.

I am throwing this “proposal” out to the group to get feedback and ideas and see if we can move forward to form a player’s association.

I would like to propose that we form the U.S. Backgammon Federation. We need such an organization to have a voice for the players to work with tournament directors and all interested parties to advance the game and to see that such issues as rules, eligibility for divisions, representation, point systems, prizes, etc. are set in a manner that the players agree is fair and equitable and best for the game and the players. The Group will also establish committees and programs to generally promote the game of Backgammon in the U.S. We also need a group so that eventually Backgammon could be recognized as an Olympic game.

Purpose: To advance the game of Backgammon in the U.S. and to represent the interests of tournament backgammon players in the U.S.

International Alliance: We will adopt the basic rules of the Denmark and Japanese associations and join with them for the global promotion and advancement of the game.

Structure: There will be a President, elected for a 2 year term, and 6 members of the Board of Directors. Initially 3 will be elected for 2 years, and 3 for 1 year. Each year 3 will be replaced with a new election.

Election: People interested in running for the Board my place their name into nomination, and there will be a vote of all the players to determine the winners. The top 7 will become the board, and they will elect a President from that group to serve for 2 years.

Function and bylaws: The exact function and by laws will be created by the first board of directors and President and will be presented to the membership for approval and adoption.

Membership and funding: Initial dues will be $20 per person to join the association. Money will be used as the B of D determines to cover expenses and advance the causes of the organization or to promote the game in general. Only people who have paid the dues may vote. Future dues or membership requirements will be set by the bylaws. No salaries will be paid at this time, but at some time in the future a salary may be paid to an administrator or Executive Director as the B of D may determine.

People have been talking about this for some time, but nobody has done anything, so I am willing to take the bull by the horns.

I am willing to serve as INTERMEDIATE DIRECTOR, unless someone else is willing to do it. I will accept the dues and hold them until the formal group is established; I will set up a link on my web site for all to see what is going on with the establishment of the group until the group is formed and has its own web site; and I will accept nominations for people who are interested in serving on the Board of Directors. After 60 days to get nominations and give people a chance to join, I will hold an election either on line or via email. and I will announce the top 7.

Those 7 can then meet and choose or elect a President to serve for 2 years. Of the remaining 6, the three with the most votes are Directors for 2 years, and the next 3 are Directors for 1 year.

So that nobody thinks I have any selfish or personal ambitions here, I will NOT put myself on the ballot and will therefore not be a Director. I will collect money for 60 days, publish a list of the people who have paid and joined, publish a list of the people willing to run for the Board, and then hold the election and publish the names of the winners. The total number of votes each person received will NOT be made public so that no one will be embarrassed, but I will turn over the total votes to the new board of directors so they can verify the results. Once the new board is elected, I will turn over all the funds and list of members to them so that they can set up a formal, non-profit organization.

It is time to get this started. Like virtually every other major sport or game, it is the players, the tournament participants, that decide what the rules should be; what the splits should be; minimum standards for tournaments, etc. We need a national group to see that scheduling is reasonable. We need a group to set up committees to work with high schools and colleges to establish clubs. We need a group to work for overall sponsorship of the game and the overall promotion of the game.

Long term I can see that everyone who participates in a USBA sanctioned tournament will be required to join, and a small portion of their entry fee will go to the association to cover expenses and money for administration and promotion.

I do not see this group as being in conflict with the current tournament directors in any way, but as a group that will work with them to establish guidelines and rules that are for the benefit of all and that will help them promote their events.

As for board members, I really think it’s most important that people self-nominate, as the job will require some time and effort, and this should not be just a popularity contest. Clearly we have people that I sincerely hope will want to take leadership roles that have already proven to be excellent leaders who are respected by all and have the temperament to get along with people, and I hope they will step up (People like Stick, Perry, Harvey, Matt R, Chuck, and many others).

Now, if someone has a better idea of how to get this going, or would like to take it on themselves, I am all ears and happy to step aside and let someone else do it.

Please express your thoughts for or against, or if you have any better ideas as to how to get this done. If there is a "public mandate," I will simply go ahead and do this and see if we get enough support to move forward.

Your thoughts please!!!

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.