[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What attracts you to tournaments?

Posted By: Chase
Date: Friday, 31 May 2013, at 12:27 a.m.

In Response To: What attracts you to tournaments? (Timothy Chow)

I haven't ever been to a tournament, for various reasons. One important reason is that the entry fee always struck me as being more than I wanted to pay... I lack the gambler's mindset that thinks in terms of ROI. For me, lowering the entry fee, even at the cost of lower ROI, would increase my chances of attending a tournament.

This pretty much describes me as well. I've never been to a major tournament and have no plans to attend one in the future, primarily due to the travel costs and high entry fees. I'm about an hour and a half from the New England Backgammon Club and I'm sometimes in Los Angeles, (somewhat near Gammon Associates) visiting family and friends. I've played a few times in these weekly club tournaments and enjoyed it. But as Timothy put it, I lack the gambler's mindset, so this is something of a special treat for me. If there was a (more) local club where I could play for $15 or $20, I imagine I'd attend once a month or so, but laying down several hundred dollars for a tournament I may well get knocked out of in the first round doesn't interest me.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.