[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Favorable Review of Tournament in Atlanta

Posted By: Paul Weaver
Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2013, at 1:50 p.m.

Many thanks to Brian, Jan, Robin, Jerry and Ann for their hard work in organizing and running a great tournament. There were 32 players in the Championship division and 24 in the Intermediate.

Congratulations to Jeb, who won the main event. Jeb and Robin will resuming running their tournament in Charlotte this year over Labor Day. They have done an outstanding job in past years with their tournaments, and I am sure this trend will continue.

Also, congratulations to Frank, who took second place. Frank won the tournament in Virginia in February and is currently in second place in the 2013 ABT standings. It is great to see young competent players (Frank and Brian) on the scene. The Intermediate division was won by Brian, a 25-year-old accountant from New Orleans, who has been winning 77% of his matches in the local club.

In my opinion, the best player at the tournament was Ed, who is still going very strong at 74. Ed won the Seniors, the Super Jackpot and the Consolation in Vegas two weeks ago and he won the Bob Wilensky Memorial Masters in Atlanta, beating Dennis in the finals. I have a lot of respect for Ed, who keeps himself in great physical and mental condition. Ed earned his victory, beating Robertie in the first round and Petko in the semifinals. Petko, who lives nearby in South Carolina, was probably the second best player in attendance.

The doubles was won by Peter and Stuart, who may have been the third best player there. Stuart has been Georgia's strongest player since moving to Atlanta from Canada about sixteen years ago. Stuart probably plays closer to 3.5 than to 4.0. Although his PR is a full point better than some on the Giant-32 list, he is not well known because he plays in few tournaments. He has not played outside Atlanta for three years.

I won my first match in the Championship at DMP against Dennis. I won my second, also at DMP, against the visiting Brit bloke Malcolm, who lives in England, Hong Kong and various other locales. I lost at DMP in the quarterfinals to Frank. I then got lucky and won four consolation matches in a row, beating Vadim in the finals.

Larry, the only person to win two ABT events in 2009 (Chicago and Colorado), won the last chance, defeating Karen in the finals. Larry and Stuart generously provided wine to those who were still there at 5 PM Sunday.

No lead was safe in Atlanta. Stuart led Ray 10-1 in a 13pt match in the Masters, but Ray came back to win. The next day, Ray led Frank 10-0 in an11pt match in the semis of the main event, but Frank came back to win, demonstrating once again that "It ain't over till it's over."

For a list of complete results, check out Bill's site at www.chicagopoint.com.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.