[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Ken's proposal

Posted By: Rod
Date: Tuesday, 17 December 2013, at 10:06 p.m.

In Response To: Ken's proposal (Ken Larsen)

Ken,

Your ranking list is not something that Stick and some others would necessarily use.

While PR and performance have a high correlation, it is not 100%.

Some people (even some on Stick's list of 29) use performance as a gauge.

There is validity to both methods. ELO is performance based and is used to determine relative ability in chess.

Eventually one has to wonder how a person who doesn't play below a certain number can sustain certain results. Eventually one has to wonder how a person with a low PR can underperform. Personally, I believe that there is some small element (NOT large) that can mitigate some PR differentials. By NOT large I mean under 0.5 PR equivalent. And all that means is that I think it is possible that a 4.1 PR average player could possibly have better results (over infinite tournaments) than a 3.9 PR average player, depending. (But no that a 5 PR would outperform a 4)

A guy like Bob Koca can probably do the math (I'm not even sure how to go about it) and calculate the likelihood that the results you show are indicative of ability relative to luck.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.