[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

You're missing the big picture

Posted By: Ken Larsen
Date: Friday, 20 December 2013, at 3:37 p.m.

In Response To: Ken's proposal (Daniel Murphy)

Daniel, you're missing the big picture. If we can develop an automated world ranking system that is updated weekly and extends down to say the top active 2000 players, it's my assertion that that would dramatically increase participation in live tournaments. At a minimum, it would motivate some of the seldom active Giants (e.g. Nack Ballard) to get off their couch and enter more tournaments.

My biggest fear is that the backgammon world will actually implement my suggestion. Then, tournament directors will get upset with me, because they'll be besieged with entry blanks and will be overworked.

If the explosive growth takes place, then corporate sponsors will want a piece of the action and will pay good money to have their names attached to various tournaments. That money can be used to augment the prize pool ... which will then draw even more people to backgammon tournaments.

That's the future I see.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.