[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

PR standard for top 100 US players

Posted By: Henrik Bukkjaer
Date: Wednesday, 18 December 2013, at 10:01 p.m.

In Response To: PR standard for top 100 US players (Jim Stutz)

I'm glad to finally see some numbers that are not 2 and 3 and 3.5 and 50 ABT players that are favorite to play a 4, and so on...

I was starting to get a bit worried to be honest.

This post from you, and the thread by Hristo, confirms what I'm thinking.

A PR is not just a PR. And many people who play a lot online (typically shorter matches), and who play a lot against XG, might get a completely different perception of what PR is, than me who automatically thinks live, clocked, 17 pointers.

So, when someone says that player X is a 4 player - do they then mean that around 25% his online matches are 4 or better? Or do they mean that he would average 4 in live clocked 17 pointers?

Another thing is this: Whats a long match to you? When Stick posted a list of Mochy's PRs, he mentioned that a few was 5 pointer (indicating he felt 5 was a short match), but the majority was 9 pointers or more (indicating that felt 9 was a long match).

I think 5 is a crapshoot. 7 and 9 are short matches. 11-15 is normal, 17+ is a long match.

I'm fairly sure, that people who play online, or play a lot of small local evening tourneys, or who play a lot of these various Swiss formats, will have a different perception.

And I think a lot of those people, even the strong ones, would get a surprise if they suddenly played and recorded a series of long live matches, and compared the PRs to the PRs they were getting in online 5 pointers...

-----

What are the typical match lengths played in the US (ABT)?

I think Chiva's "new black" tournament format consists of 9 pointers, right?

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.