[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New Rules in LA--What is the verdict?

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2013, at 2:44 a.m.

In Response To: New Rules in LA--What is the verdict? (Bob Koca)

1. It was written by 3 people who got advice from many, many others and who had been discussing these rules on this forum and elsewhere for years. And the rules were further revised (and improved in my opinion) by Pat and by suggestions from people like you (who pointed out that a cube action should be considered the same as rolling...very excellent point by the way). The rules have also been carefully studied by committees and highly knowledgeable people around the world and we have received tremendously positive feedback. And the rules have actually been adopted at clubs and federations around the world.

So do not state that it was just 3 people....we put them together and did drafts that got revised and improved many times by input from many. I, for one, have been working on the wording and intent of some of these rules for over 20 years when I first went to the ABT and tried to explain why the current rules were unfair and ambiguous and inadequate. To this day, I have made absolutely no progress in convincing some people, in spite of support from people like Pat Gibson and many others who see the value of the new rules.

As for Pat Gibson making the decision, isn't that how EVERY TOURNAMENT is? In the US, the rules at any ABT event are whatever the director decides they are. Yes, they do have a set of ABT rules, but if you play in one of Howard's tournaments you don't necessarily have the same rules and same interpretation as if you played in one of Bill's tournaments. And if you play in Pat or Jeb's tournaments, and hopefully others, they will still be ABT events but they will use these new rules.

If you think the tournament rules should not be left up to each tournament director, I'm all ears about how you think that can or should happen. Right now the USBGF has no authority over tournament rules...but hopefully, since they do represent the players, they will eventually take a stand and recommend something that the players prefer, and hopefully that will be at least strongly taken into consideration by the TD's. I know one who won't give a damn what the players and the USBGF says about what the rules should be at "his tournament," but I think most of the rest will see the value of letting the players decide what rules they think are best for the game. And if we do have some tournaments with different rules, so what? You can vote with your feet. I personally have never stopped attending tournaments because I disagreed with the Tournament Director about the rules or format or anything else....if I did that, I don't think I would make very many tournaments!

I'll come right out and say it....I don't like a lot of rules and things Bill Davis believes and insists on, but I have enormous respect for him, for what he does and has done for the game, and I really enjoy his tournaments. He puts tremendous effort into it and loves and respects this game. He and I have simply learned to agree to disagree on many topics, and I am sure we always will. This is one of those topics.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.