[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

dice transparency

Posted By: Colin Owen
Date: Thursday, 13 June 2013, at 3:38 p.m.

In Response To: dice transparency (Chuck Bower)

Chuck, You say that (the three of) you wrote the new rules to err on the side of honest players, at the expense that cheaters have it a bit easier. In terms of advocating the obligation to point out illegal moves, this is so, as is not giving transparent dice any precedence over opaque. But in other respects I don't see that this was the tone of the rules.

I'll give some examples. The promoting of baffle boxes and dice tubes as useful pieces of equipment (which they are). The rule whereby, if a die appears to come to rest for just a single second, then it is declared cocked - even if it then falls. This is to stop players deliberately nudging the table.

I personally find that I seem to misread opaques about as often as the clear dice. I now have some opaques, serial numbered and certificated by Novadice, and use them when players choose them over my other dice. I misread them, on average, once every few hours of play. This should happen less often than with clear dice, but I don't much notice it.

Yes, transparent dice can be loaded but, particularly with the lighter colours, this might be detected. The weighting would also have to be less pronounced than with opaques. There are some very sophisticated dice out there that can actually be adjusted during play, by shifting the position of the weighting, with mercury for example. Are these transparent?!

As a stated advocate of baffle boxes, you will be aware that perhaps the biggest advantage of them is not so much that they can prevent manipulative cheating methods, but rather that they remove the suspicion of it (when someone doesn't shake, for example). I feel this too. Likewise, if I played someone who insisted on using their opaque precisions, perhaps taking umbrage if resistance was met - and they then rolled me off the board with them, the doubt that their stance created could equally reduce my enjoyment AND FUN in playing the game.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.