[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

New Rules in LA--What is the verdict?

Posted By: Bill Riles
Date: Tuesday, 11 June 2013, at 1:55 p.m.

In Response To: New Rules in LA--What is the verdict? (Phil Simborg)

If we all apply common sense, fair play, and courtesy then there is no need for any new rules. I've played ABT events for ten years and have never had a significant disagreement of any sort on any topic during a match. Slow play and fast rolls are the occasional nuisances when not playing with a clock; however, these are fairly easily resolved with the current rules. Overall, I much prefer to play legal moves with a clock.

If we do have a set of new rules, I think the most logical solution is to establish baffle boxes and dice tubes as pre-approved non-standard playing equipment which may be used, without director involvement, if both players agree. If one player wishes to use dice cups, then dice cups it is -- as they are the standard equipment. I don't think anyone should want a rule which continually requires the involvement of the director (taking up his/her time and distracting him/her from more serious matters) to resolve a very simple recurring issue. It would likely be necessary to further establish the hierarchy for those occasions when one player wishes to use a baffle box and the other insists upon a dice tube.

The suggested rules are easily gamed. If I want to use dice cups and my opponent wants to use a baffle box, all the opponent has to do, within the suggested rules, to get his/her way is to refuse to roll properly. The proponents of the rule know and recognize this. They will argue that no one will ever do this -- backgammon players are all honest, principled gentlemen/gentlewomen; however, the proponents do manage to see cheating dice rollers on the far side of the board in every one their matches.

Sure. And let's use two baffle boxes to eliminate some confusion. Great. I presume the two baffle boxes should be identical to ensure random fairness. Where would you like to then place the clock? I like to have a scorecard, where might we place that so it can be seen and changed without the obstruction of baffle boxes?

What will they demand next just for the sake of change? 9' baskets, 80' bases, 90 yard football fields? It's all just subjective anyway, right?

Ridiculous.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.