[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Thursday, 22 September 2016, at 3:08 p.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (David Levy)

DL >> Why do you need to break the tie?

We sometimes need to use tie-breaks because sometimes players end up on the same number of points for the season. We need to decide divisional end of season standings in order to process promotions and relegations.

DL >> It changes strategy if you incent players to do anything but win each match.

I don't think there is much distortion of matchplay strategy at all. Even in matches where the match score is not relevant, general backgammon strategy is to maximize one's own points gained whilst minimizing one's opponent's points gained. There is a definite skill to this.

Also match scores are truncated to 11 points anyway, so there has been no silly bumping the cube up to 32 or 64. I don't even think we have had a 16 cube in play, with over 100 x 11 point matches completed.

Looking at the previous season's results, where two players were tied on points (from my local knowledge of each player's strengths and weaknesses), I think the greater *score difference* quite accurately reflects the better player over the season.

Even though there is a notable degree of luck and variance in backgammon match outcomes, I don't think this is a coincidence. I am hoping that as more data is gathered over seasons, this simple cumulative score difference tie-breaker will prove to be mostly fit for purpose.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.