[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Friday, 23 September 2016, at 5:38 a.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (Rick Janowski)

RJ >> Assuming all the players have established Elo Ratings

RJ >> I think lowest or inferior Elo rating would make a reasonable tie-breaker.

Unfortunately, not all the players have stable ratings yet. Some are relatively new to formal backgammon (bringing new players to the game was part of the reason for forming the league). Nevertheless, we do log all league matches on the UKBGF ratings database so this should change over time.

Anyway, I must say I'm not too keen on inferior rating ELO being the primary tie-breaker in the hierarchy of tiebreakers.

The London Players League places this 6th in their hierarchy of tie-breaks which sounds about right to me.

My reason for saying that? I know at least one person with a low ELO who I think is regarded as highly skilled but still rated under 1500 according to that system (after almost 3 years worth of matches and ~700 exp. points). I guess this is due to an awful start in the ELO based system.

Finally, a correction - I made a typo earlier..

DJS >> In this case, it's important for me to remember that the rolling seasons are short - only 7 weeks. So if the lower player is truly deserving, they should soon get promoted amongst their presumed weaker opposition, and the inverse too.. natural selection :)

Our rolling seasons are in fact 10 weeks long (70 days). Not 7 weeks. Still reasonably quick - I think my point is still valid.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.