[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Friday, 23 September 2016, at 8:13 a.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (Casper Van der Tak)

>> I think there is a perfect tiebreaker - playing for it!

Agreed. As I tried to say a couple of times, this is my preference if and wherever time and player availability permit i.e. most likely in a sit-down tournament setting, not a time-limited fortnightly league meeting.

Another thing to consider is the value of consistency. What if 2nd and 3rd place are tied on points. Or 3rd and 4th place?

Does it then become acceptable to use score difference to separate those positions?

Or should we be consistent and have extra game(s) played to separate them as well?

I was looking for a simple, practical and consistent solution but **if using score difference really is that bad a tool, that implies that we should be using extra matches throughout the table**

This does not sound remotely practical to me - extra matches all over the place!

As in the chess world, smarter people than me have tried to find a tie-break solution (apart from playing for it) to please everybody all of the time, and they have all failed to gain unanimous support. I should learn from this :)

Thanks again for your suggestions all, I'm going to try and move on to something more productive.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.