[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Sunday, 2 October 2016, at 9:37 p.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (Colin Owen)

I'm glad my original question has sparked some good debate and ideas.. the subject seems to be something many people feel strongly about.

I agree with Casper that

Neil's [i.e. double robin robin with both 11 and 9 point matches]

and Colin's [two 'best of 3' to 5 points ... each match would be won either 2-0 or 2-1]

recent suggestions sound like potentially improved and viable alternatives.

----------------------- In order to move on from the many different personal opinions and generate some hard and indisputable data, do we have any skilled programmers / statisticians in the community who could create and run some sort of comparative modelling on the effectiveness of these two ideas in reducing draws in like-for-like scenarios? For example in a 4 player double round robin situation (6 PvP meetings each). Maybe by assigning random scores to each match and running a decent number of season simulations?

The only other thing is, the infrastructure of the our chosen hosting website does not currently support either of these two proposed systems out of the box. And although I have had some contact with the Developers, it should be noted that whether or not they will implement any idea, however superior it may turn out to be, is beyond my immediate control. For now SBLeague will continue with the site preset "Points - Score difference - Score for"

N.B. FIBSleague uses

1) Total Score.

2) More Wins, if same score.

3) Accumulated score [based on league points W3-D0-L1] of defeated players

I don't recall seeing any negative feedback on the FIBS system. If it's also good, this option might be worth evaluating as well..

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.