[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Thursday, 22 September 2016, at 6:52 p.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (David Levy)

DL >> We need to break the tie so we can break a later tie.

Maybe a language misunderstanding? That is not what I said or meant to convey at all.

DL >> you can surely find time for a one-match playoff.

As Timothy pointed out, if more than two people are tied on points it might not be as simple as a one-match playoff.

** It's important to remember that this is not a tournament scenario where all players are mostly present in the same room at the same time. It is a league where we meet fortnightly, plus on an ad-hoc basis, so it may be difficult to schedule and get the affected players together with their different working lives, families, social lives etc..

Just to clarify my position, if it were a tournament setting, I would definitely prefer to have on the spot head-to-heads of the longest practical length to decide tie-breaks.

DJS > Even in matches where the match score is not relevant, general backgammon strategy is to maximize one's own points gained whilst minimizing one's opponent's points gained.

DL>> No.

That straight 'No.' from you sounds pretty uncompromising. Please will you consider that *both* of our statements could be good general strategies to adopt in backgammon matches?

When playing matches I am certainly trying to maximize my own points gained whilst minimizing my opponent's points gained. I would be very interested to learn if you really do not employ a very similar strategy in your matches.

>> At 8-7 post Crawford, your opponent rolls 3-1 and you reply 5-4. Opponent doubles. Do you take?

In that scenario, I would take as it's my only chance to finish above him.

Having said that, please note, I originally said:
: I don't think there is much distortion of matchplay strategy at all.

"much" being a very important word to note there..

Basically, I'm trying to be practical. My intuition tells me that circumstances where the exploitation of this 'last match distorted play scenario' might occur will be pretty rare. I guesstimate maybe 1 in 50 divisional seasons? Maybe much less?

Moving forward, I'll monitor the league matches and the completed tables over the coming seasons and will consider changing the rules if this type of scenario manifests itself more than 1 in 50 times.. but I doubt that it will.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.