[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins?

Posted By: sebalotek
Date: Thursday, 6 October 2016, at 9:15 a.m.

In Response To: What is the best (fairest and most efficient) way to tie-break 4 player round robins? (Colin Owen)

Thanks for the reply Colin. I'll wait and see if there is any help with quantifying the exact probabilities of a draw for the different systems from the wider community. If I can find the time, I will explore 'R' myself. And as I said before, regardless of theory, there is also the question of practical implementation afterwards. But one step at a time.

>> Now, the advantage of playing a football match on your own ground

I'm not sure whether there is a huge advantage in playing a match at 'Home' or 'Away' in backgammon. It might affect people differently or not at all. I personally don't find this factor has that much bearing on the outcome and am more worried about (to me) the more significant and random factors such as 'am I going to break this streak of crappy dice tonight?'. But I can see your point - there is probably *some* variable advantage to playing in a location / environment where one feels more comfortable, rather than less comfortable.

>> players are probably more likely to want to play a series of 11 point matches than the 'best of three' to 5 points.

I like both formats. I think the 'best of three' to 5 points is a good format and could work well in this league (N.B. 3 x best to 7 could, IMO, take too long). On the other hand, one of the reasons I decided to introduce 11-point matches is because I think these longer bouts increase/decrease the skill/luck factor somewhat.

They are also good training for live tournaments with longer matches. Before the league was formed, we usually played shorter 5 or 7 point matches together. The London Open this year was mainly 11 pointers and we found that, overall, the 4 representatives from our regional league did above average in progressing. This decent performance might partially have been because of our earlier practice and familiarization with the dynamics of an 11 point match. I think both have their merits.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.