[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

How the hell is this even a discussion?????

Posted By: David Rockwell
Date: Monday, 3 March 2014, at 10:25 p.m.

In Response To: How the hell is this even a discussion????? (Bob Koca)

This is the point that some people seem to be missing. It is common and necessary to have rules which deal with what is generically called an "irregularity". Some games use the equivalent of legal moves (Othello). Other games have penalties for an illegal move. In Shogi, the penalty for making an illegal move is forfeiture of the game. Traditional Backgammon rules also have a penalty for making an illegal move. The idea behind a penalty is to motivate players to avoid irregularities. The issue before us is not the existence of a rule to handle irregularities. The issue is what the rule should be. Enforcing existing rules for irregularities is not ignoring the rules of the game; it is following them. Some players would like to change the rules. Others wouldn't. This is worthy of discussion. I am distinctly unimpressed by anyone on either side who claims it isn't. When I hear someone shouting, I know they aren't listening.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.