[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Playing The Game With The Most Honourable Of Intentions

Posted By: Pat MacNeil
Date: Monday, 3 March 2014, at 7:39 p.m.

In Response To: Non-biased Legal vs. non-legal moves poll (phil simborg)

I'm not sure how much weight this will carry but I'll give it a go just the same. When Phil and I talked on Thursday, early conversation centred around ethics. I cited an instance I had seen on UStream and Phil was quick to come to Dana Nazarian's defence with regard to his Finals Match with Neil in Vegas of last year as I'm pretty sure he thought I was headed in that direction. I assured him, and I want to assure EVERYONE here, this had NOTHING to do with Dana. This was an entirely DIFFERENT person at an entirely DIFFERENT Tournament. There's only ONE person I've confided in (Not Phil) so that person knows what I'm talking about. It was all about my perception of an incident that occurred at a HIGHLY CRITICAL point in the Match. What I saw were within the rules of law but I remember thinking to myself this just doesn't seem right. Bringing up a rule at the 11th hour with HUGE Match implications caused me to think the player in question was GRASPING AT STRAWS. This was also done when NOTHING was said throughout the entire Match leading up to that point. I say MY perception and I REALLY hope I'm wrong but, from this viewer's standpoint, it just didn't look good. If it turns out I'm wrong I will be the FIRST person to say so. Now this brings me to my point. I am all for playing the game with the most honourable of intentions. Call me old fashioned but I come from a world where a man's word and a handshake is still gold. I remember watching a Match of Neil once where he said "I don't want to win like that". I can't remember the EXACT scenario, which Tournament and against who but the gist was in line with how I think. Now if some feel the need to hop in here, pick apart my words and jump down my throat just know that I'm trying to do this for what I believe to be in the best interest of BackGammon. Nothing will ever be perfect but, whatever is decided, should be decided with the most honourable of intentions in mind. Aside from that nothing else matters.

Pat

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.