[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Just one more argument for Legal Moves

Posted By: Taper_Mike
Date: Wednesday, 30 October 2013, at 9:44 a.m.

In Response To: Just one more argument for Legal Moves (Phil Simborg)

What Would You Do If There Were No Money Riding on It?

Evidentally, Herb will be welcome at your kitchen table much longer that he would be at mine. Or perhaps you would not tolerate in a friendly game at home what you advocate in a tournament.

One of the really great things you do, Phil, is take backgammon into the schools. I imagine you have your hands full there just teaching the game. Nevertheless, I hope Herb’s is not the kind of hard-nosed “sportsmanship” you are teaching to young children.

Perhaps there is a lesson here about social animals.

Right or wrong, if one knows that a certain behavior will earn the disapprobation of ones peers, then he must accept the consequences when he elects that behavior.

If Herb now begins to experience alienation from half his friends in the backgammon community, he may, even if he feels he is in the right, choose in the future to win with dice, checker play, and cube actions rather than by a punctilious enforcement of bad rules that it is in his power to waive.

It’s his choice.

Mike

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.