[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Impossible Move in Connecticut

Posted By: Michael Petch
Date: Thursday, 31 October 2013, at 3:00 p.m.

In Response To: Impossible Move in Connecticut (Keene)

Keene wrote: "We should take this example as an opportunity to improve the rules. Stop talking about how we would all act, and improve the rules."

I disagree. Those of us who would do differently than Herb for the most part aren't saying that Herb wasn't within his rights to make the play.

Just because the rules allow something doesn't mean that the end result is a morally justifiable one in the eyes of others.

If an outsider were to read these recent threads I think they could conclude that Backgammon isn't a gentleman's game, and that it clearly has a cut throat nature to it. I think the cut throat nature is not necessarily a good thing for the game.

As I said from the outset, as a TD I'd be using "Legal Moves" at my events, and there is good reason for it. I think this discussion could help TD's who aren't running "Legal move" events to reconsider that decision, and in my opinion that is good for the game.

To quote Mark Twain: “A gentleman is someone who knows how to play the banjo and doesn't”.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.