[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Just one more argument for Legal Moves

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 30 October 2013, at 12:17 p.m.

In Response To: Just one more argument for Legal Moves (Taper_Mike)

I teach people, including kids, to play nice and be friendly. I teach them Legal Moves as that is a friendly way to play. I also teach them to respect the rules and follow them and be a good sport if they make a mistake or make a wrong move.

Herb Gurland is a well-known gentleman. A man who for many years has shown great courtesy and respect for all who play this game, and I would be proud to have him at my kitchen table. He followed the rules appropriately and again, should not be faulted for that. I have a real problem with people who stand on their soapboxes and try to tell everyone else what moral and social standards they should apply when these are highly subjective and personal decisions. The decision to follow and respect the rules, even if you don't agree with them, is not, in my opinion, a subjective decision.

If you agree to cut your opponent slack on one kind of infraction or mistake, then where do you draw the line? Do you let him take 20 minutes for a coffee break? Do you let him fast-roll? Do you let him fondle the doubling cube and then change his mind? When the rules are clear, they should be followed.

Again, I don't have a problem in this area as I ask my opponent to play legal moves, and then if he declines, I would expect him to live by the rules he chose and if I made a similar error I would not expect or even accept any liency.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.