[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums

Just one more argument for Legal Moves

Posted By: Phil Simborg
Date: Wednesday, 30 October 2013, at 12:25 p.m.

In Response To: Just one more argument for Legal Moves (Daniel Murphy)

How can the ruling be any other way? The rules state that if a player makes an illegal move the other play can choose to let it stand. The rule is very clear, and for a TD or committee to overrule a player who follows the written rules is simply illogical and wrong. The fact that so many seem to feel that the rule should be overridden in the interest of fair play illustrates just how bad the illegal moves rule is.

Sorry about the capital letters. Again that is a thing that I believe adds emphasis to the importance I put on those words, like underlining or italics. Some people have their own social norms of conduct that they like to impose on others. Following the written rules, whether you like them or not, is not a subjective and personal choice, it is a requirement of the players and the TD in order to maintain the integrity of the game and respect for the rules.

I agree this is a terrible way to win a game, and it is horrible that Herb had to be put in this position, but it was the rules and the sloppy play of his opponent that put him in this position...not his own actions.

That you, or I, or others might not have made Herb's choice is not to say that Herb did anything wrong. I have been penalized for similar mistakes in tournaments, so how am I to be sure my opponent would be so nice to me? I do have a way to find out...I see if he will agree to play legal moves...that's how I know he wouldn't hold me to a mistake of this kind.

Messages In This Thread

Post Response

Your Name:
Your E-Mail Address:
Subject:
If necessary, enter your password below:

Password:

[ View Thread ] [ Post Response ] [ Return to Index ] [ Read Prev Msg ] [ Read Next Msg ]

BGonline.org Forums is maintained by Stick with WebBBS 5.12.